evangelinenoir

Evangeline-Noir

Hello,

I rate and review books. I love horror, fantasy, suspense and Japanese literature. I might ramble about book hauls as well.

SPOILER ALERT!
Burial Rites - Hannah Kent

I haven't been on this site in such a long time, which I am sorry for. I just got busy with school and at some point I forgot about this site, since I also keep track of my reading progress on Goodreads. Which I think is a bit more easy and faster to do as this website. But I enjoy the whole ''blog thing'' on this site so I thought I should return.

Recently I finished ''Burial Rites'' by Hannah Kent, and I thought I'd share my opinion about the book.

First of all, Burial Rites is quite a sad book. It's about Agnes Magnusdottir, a woman in Iceland who is accused of murder and therefore condemned to death.The story is fiction based on facts. There was a real Agnes Magnusdottir in Iceland charged with murder, who was also the last person in Iceland to be given the death sentence.

Agnes is sent to live with a family on a farm, to wait out her punishment there. The family, who is forced to take her in obviously resents her and tries to avoid her as much as possible since she is murderess after all. The only one who seems to be willing to talk to her at all is the priest, who is sent to help her ''see the ways of god''. Though the behaviour of the family towards Agnes gradually changes throughout the story. As they learn more about her and hear her story. They learn that Agnes has been a victim of the lies and stories of those around her. The family slowly becomes sort of attached to her, and let her work with them on the farm.

I absolutely loved this book. Even though the theme is quite sad and might seem like a heavy read, it actually wasn't too heavy and I was able to read through it quite quickly. Once you start reading you keep wanting to know more about Agnes and how she got into the situation she is in.The story itself is beautifully written, I specially loved the discription of Agnes's thoughts and her conversations with the priest, Toti.

What I also ''enjoyed'' was the similarities between Margaret and Agnes. They are both women on the brick of death. Throughout the book you can really notice how they are in a way drawn to each other.

The story gave me a curiousity about Agnes Magnusdottir and made me want to look up more about her after I finished the book. It is very sad that her death was not prevented, since she was obviously innocent. The story shows that there was so many evidence overlooked. It is quite clear that they just wanted an easy solution and thus pointed fingers at Agnes. Yet I guess it is a good thing that she was the last person to ever be condemned to death in Iceland. It shows that they did realise at some point that they were wrong. Even though it is sad that their mistake was at cost of her life. Which makes the story so sad.

I gave this book a 5 out of 5 stars, I really enjoyed reading it. I felt fore all the characters who learnt the truth about Agnes, and of course Agnes herself. If you're up for a sad story based on facts, then you should definitely pick up this book. It is beautifully written and a great debut of the author.